dulcibelle

Riva's Reads

I read just about anything with words - especially cozy mysteries and urban fantasy.

Kitty Rocks the House (Kitty Norville, #11)
Carrie Vaughn
Loki’s Wolves
Kelley Armstrong, Melissa Marr
Beyond Sugar Shock: The 6-Week Plan to Break Free of Your Sugar Addiction & Get Slimmer, Sexier & Sweeter
Connie Bennett
Ghosts of 42nd Street
Anthony Bianco
Hunted
Kevin Hearne

The Bondwoman's Narrative

The Bondwoman's Narrative - Hannah Crafts I enjoyed this book, but would have edited/arranged it differently. Gates left in Crafts' strikeouts, misspellings, and grammar errors (for historical reasons). I understand his reasoning, and it was interesting to see some of the thought processes that went into the book, but it took a while to get used to. I'd read the strike outs in a sentence, then read the sentence as intended, then think about the differences that made in the meaning of the sentence - then I'd forget where I was and have to do it all over again. I would have preferred the novel to be presented first, in a polished form, with the historical notes and information about the edits following. I did enjoy reading how the manuscript was discovered and the things Gates did to try and find the author. It's really a neat story - and a historically important work. The podcast of Gates that I found was more about identifying the author of this book. Gates is a captivating speaker; I'd have loved having him for my history professor in college.