dulcibelle

Riva's Reads

I read just about anything with words - especially cozy mysteries and urban fantasy.

Kitty Rocks the House (Kitty Norville, #11)
Carrie Vaughn
Loki’s Wolves
Kelley Armstrong, Melissa Marr
Beyond Sugar Shock: The 6-Week Plan to Break Free of Your Sugar Addiction & Get Slimmer, Sexier & Sweeter
Connie Bennett
Ghosts of 42nd Street
Anthony Bianco
Hunted
Kevin Hearne

Holding Her Head High: 12 Single Mothers Who Championed Their Children and Changed History - Janine Turner I'm not really sure how to feel about this book. I do think that Turner should have chosen another title. Holding Her Head High implies to me that these women had reason to be ashamed of their single motherhood. Of the biographies I read (I didn't finish the last three), only one woman meets that criteria - and there were extenuating circumstances in her case as well (her abusive husband wouldn't grant her a divorce, so she left anyway and later lived with another man). That said, these women do have amazing stories to tell, and their lives can be used to encourage many women. While the stories are interesting, the writing is rough. Turner learned the English grammar lesson that a series is "three or more things" well and EVERYTHING is "point A, point B, and point C". Many of her turns of phrase are awkward, and I found myself having to reread sentences to figure out exactly what she meant. Still, Turner makes her point with these stories, and the book would make a good study for a women's Bible group.