dulcibelle

Riva's Reads

I read just about anything with words - especially cozy mysteries and urban fantasy.

Kitty Rocks the House (Kitty Norville, #11)
Carrie Vaughn
Loki’s Wolves
Kelley Armstrong, Melissa Marr
Beyond Sugar Shock: The 6-Week Plan to Break Free of Your Sugar Addiction & Get Slimmer, Sexier & Sweeter
Connie Bennett
Ghosts of 42nd Street
Anthony Bianco
Hunted
Kevin Hearne

A Bad Day for Pretty: A Crime Novel

A Bad Day for Pretty - Sophie Littlefield I enjoyed this one. It's second in the series, but works as a stand alone. It's sort of a cozy (all the elements are there - amateur detective, small town, kooky assistants) but it's a little darker than most cozies. Stella Hardesty's husband abused her. She took care of the fellow, and now earns her living by convincing other men that they shouldn't abuse the women in their lives. Her methods are not exactly legal, but she gets results. That, however, is not the main plot in this book. One of Stella's reformed abusers is now being accused of a murder he didn't commit. His wife asks Stella to find the real killer. Stella agrees, but she's got to work around the town's sheriff - who she's also dating. There are enough twists to keep things interesting and the ending is satisfying. I'm looking forward to hearing more from Stella.