dulcibelle

Riva's Reads

I read just about anything with words - especially cozy mysteries and urban fantasy.

Kitty Rocks the House (Kitty Norville, #11)
Carrie Vaughn
Loki’s Wolves
Kelley Armstrong, Melissa Marr
Beyond Sugar Shock: The 6-Week Plan to Break Free of Your Sugar Addiction & Get Slimmer, Sexier & Sweeter
Connie Bennett
Ghosts of 42nd Street
Anthony Bianco
Hunted
Kevin Hearne

Born Wild: The Extraordinary Story of One Man's Passion for Africa

Born Wild: The Extraordinary Story of One Man's Passion for Africa - Tony Fitzjohn Fitzjohn worked with George Adamson in Africa after George and Joy divorced. He has helped return a number of animals to the wild, including lions, leopards, African wild dogs, elephants, and rhinos. He never had an easy time - money was hard to come by (most came from charitable gifts held in trust) and the local governments really didn't want the preserves. They made more money from hunters. The above should make the basis for an interesting memoir. Unfortunately, the book falls flat somehow. I never really felt connected to Fitzjohn - I felt he was describing his life instead of living it. Maybe I was expecting too much - I read and adored Born Free, Living Free, and Forever Free (about the lioness Elsa and Joy and George Adamson) when I was a teen - and this book is nothing like those. Perhaps because it's more concerned with the man than the animals he helped. It's not a bad book, just not quite my cup of tea.